[3830] WPX SSB KI5DR(@K5NA) M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 31 22:45:10 EST 2003

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KI5DR
Operator(s): KI5DR, K5NA, K5DU, NA4M, W5MF, WM5R
Station: K5NA

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Austin, TX

   20: 1561
   15: 1983

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

It all started with an idea - do a Multi-Multi from South Texas. No band-change
rules, just pure, un-interrupted operating fun!

Plan B - do a Multi-Two category operation with three stations and just have fun
doing it.

For this, we had some great operators from South Texas -
Phil, NA4M
Marty, W5MF
Richard, K5NA
Susan, K5DU
Ken, WM5R
Scott, KI5DR (Just little ol' me)

Richard and Susan once again made their station and their home open to us
visitors, many thanks!

Of course, I had to do something silly - I arrived at Richard's Friday afternoon
after a marathon trip to Philadelphia to fix a piece of Cisco software, and had
only slept 4 hours since Wednesday morning.

Conditions were marginal for much of the weekend.  At times, it seemed like
flares had soaked up all of the signals, and it would become quiet from the
bottom to the top of the band.  Minutes later, it would return.  Band noise was
OK on the lower bands, and beverages helped on 40 and 80.  For reasons unknown
(See the Sleep-Deprived Dementia above) we never made any contacts on 160m, even
though Richard has an incredible 160m setup.  Maybe next year.

After a wonderful warm-up meal, we hit the bands running.  Our first 5 hours
were 273 / 250 / 188 / 185 / 109 respectively.  Our last 5 hours were 79 / 110 /
102 / 103 / 141.  We concentrated on running more on the current band and less
on making the band changes to work mults this weekend, but figured the mults
would come easily during the weekend.

The station consisted of two Yaesu FT-1000 MkV's for everything except 20m,
where we employed the old standby, rock solid Icom 765.  The Yaesu's were
matched to a pair of AL-1500s, and the IC-765 had a perfectly performing Henry
2K classic.

Antennas were
10m 5el Cushcraft @110'
15m (4)5el Cushcraft monobanders topping out at 185'
20m 5el Cushcraft @195'
40m (3) 2el Cushcraft topping out at 190'
80m Pair of ON4UN phased wire verticals, sloper, dipole.
160m (unused) full-sized 1/4 wave vertical, elevated radials.
Misc - Cushcraft X9 tribander @80' shared between 10m and 20m

The 15m stack worked perfectly, and was once again the money-band. 20m was
quirky - I caught a 45-minute opening to EU while trying to work a South America
station right after 0600z Sunday morning, including some long-path contacts to
VK/ZL pointing NE. Woohoo!

Overall we had a great time.  Susan seems to have developed a following.
Several times while on 10m Sunday stations chimed in "Put Susan back on! Put
Susan back on!"

Thanks for all the great contacts, and looking forward to next year!

73,
Scott - KI5DR

5117 / 9113 / 1075 = 9,796,475

NA - 3660 (71.5%)