[3830] WPX CW KH6VV(K4MDL) SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 25 16:05:02 EDT 2003

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KH6VV
Operator(s): K4MDL
Station: KH6VV

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: KH6

Tom (K4MDL) upgraded from tec+ to extra two days before wpx and decided
to practice his cw and use his new license grade.  His code speed needs
a lot of work but he is intent on improving it. He set his FT-920 up
here and we found out it was an rf sponge, this meant he would have to
operate at reduced power, usually 40-60 watts.  Tom avoided the prime
bands during openings and consentrated on S&P sessions on the bands that
were in the process of closing. This avoided creating any pileups whenever
he did decide to call cq, afterall this was a practice session for him.

After operating for about 7 hours the first evening and a couple hours the
following morning he had to return to the other side of the island and
attend to family matters.  Considering the fact that he had never seen
TR-LOG before he sat down to operate I think he did well, and Im sure we
will see more of Tom in future contests.

Thanks to all those who were patient with the occasional fat finger
errors and resulting qrm.  Tom being new to cw contesting and not familiar
with TR-LOG, this was bound to happen. Its a pitty conditions were not
better.

Ron KH6DV