[3830] WPX CW N6WG SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 26 10:17:17 EDT 2003

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: CA

I didn't intend to work the contest as such, just S & P for some new DX
countries.  Wound up with 11 new countries, so that was fun.  I now have enough
countries for ARRL's QRP DXCC award.

I had a second goal of making a few contacts on all bands, 10 through 160m.  I
realized that in 51 years of hamming, I'd never done that in one event :-)  160m
took the longest, as I had to wait for others to show up on the band.

Saturday evening, I decided to start collecting prefixes to see what I could do.
 Wound up with 74.  My fault for getting serious so late.

Band conditions seemed way down from the DX contest earlier in the year.  At
times, I could tune across 20m and hear NO SIGNALS at all.  Wow,  guess this is
what we have to look forward to in the next few years.

No big gun contest station here, just a K2 with new DSP option and a 55 ft
dipole with tuned feeders.  The DSP worked very well, so it's a keeper.

Thanks to all who suffered through several repeats to complete the exchange.
73, Bob N6WG