[3830] SS CW AA5AU Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 3 04:26:09 EST 2003

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: AA5AU
Operator(s): AA5AU
Station: AA5AU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: LA

I honestly didn't plan for this to happen.  I was just going to jump in and play
around like I do every year.  And I hadn't planned on using the 2nd radio since
I had failed miserable in the past and never got the knack of it.

But something happened Sunday morning when I was browsing the ARRL CW SS Records
and saw that the LA low power record was only about 148k.  I turned on the 2nd
radio and somehow, someway, I was all of a sudden able to copy signals in both
ears.  As time went on, I got fairly good at it and my rate picked up
considerably and it starting becoming a whole lot of fun.  I got into a rhythm
and took off.  But this 2 radio CW stuff is pretty tough compared to my normal
easy-chair SO2R RTTY operation, but the rhythm was familiar and things just
clicked.

In hindsight, I wish I'd operated the full 24 hours.  But I'm so happy with my
effort so it doesn't really matter.  A sweep would have been nice, but I'm
satisfied with the results.

Overall, great Sunday... the Saints won, Dale Jr. won and I possibly set a CW
contest record for LA! hi  Come to think about it, how did I possibly learn to
work 2 radios on CW, watch TV and browse the Internet on a 3rd PC at the same
time?  Hmmm...

73 & thanks for all the Q's!
Don AA5AU