[3830] SS CW AG0T Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 3 14:35:56 EST 2003

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: AG0T
Operator(s): AG0T
Station: AG0T

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: ND
Operating Time (hrs):

Far and away my favourite contest of the season.  Even a recent move couldn't
keep me away, although I was more or less resigned at the start to just putz
around.  Like good potato chips though, once you start making QSOs, you can't
stop... :-)

The bands seemed good, at least until the big flare Sun. morning.  Thought my
antenna came down.  Of course, that was *just* as I was getting some momentum as
far as a pace goes.  Was well on the way to 40/hr, S&P, when the bottom dropped
out, and I managed 2/hr in the 17:15-18:15Z time slot.

Had one guy tell me I was his last sec for a sweep, and I was happy to give it
to him. :-)  Makes my day *almost* as much as I made his.   Another told me I
was sec #79.  Not sure how much I made K9UIY's day, but the excitement in his
fist at finding a ND station late in the contest was palpable indeed. :-)

For me, it was more or less same-o, same-o compared to last year.  *Exactly* the
same number of QSO's, although that's due to having to answer a long-distance
phone call with an hour left in the contest (note to self:  shut the ringer
*off* next time, like you *said* you would!).  Of course, the call lasted over
an hour.  Sheesh.  Couple more sections made for an improvement over last year,
in spite of the call, not being all *that* serious at the start, etc., etc.
Missed the usual suspects: DE, SC, WY, ID, ND, NE, SK, MB, NT, NL, and QC.
*Heard* SC, ID (almost worked one on 80, but SWR where he was was too high and
my already paltry 4W was much less.), ND (K0VX on 40m backscatter), SK, MB, and
QC, although they were mostly playing S&P as I was.  In the several years I've
played semi-seriously in this contest, I've yet to hear NT or NL.  Oh well...
:-/

Worked at it more intensely than planned, for longer than I'd planned, did
better than I planned, and beat my best score.  Aside from a sweep, what more
could one ask for? :-)

73,

Todd, AG0T