[3830] SS CW K4RO Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 4 03:55:35 EST 2003

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K4RO
Operator(s): K4RO
Station: K4RO

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: TN

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Unlike last year when everything went wrong,
this year everything went right. Never heard
VY1, KL7, or ND.  Heard someone work J, but
he was not copyable here, so I didn't call.
The solar disturbance was pretty fascinating.
Here is a graph of the GOES 1-minute Xray Flux
in case you haven't already seen it:
http://www.k4ro.net/k4ro/misc/xray_1m_200311030322.gif

I used the second radio the entire contest, and it
kept things much more interesting, not to mention
productive.  I felt like I was really understanding
the SS contest at last, and felt like I might even have
a chance at winning.  I just got out-operated in the
end, but it sure was fun trying.  Finally, unlike
last year, I got in the full 24 hours with no mistakes
in off-time calculation.  Thanks to N6TR for posting
many helpful tips on CQ-Contest over the previous month.

QRP SS was quite a contrast to being one of the dominant
signals from VP5 just a few days earlier.  It took a while
to become used to getting beat out in pileups again and again.
Special thanks to all of the ops who were patient with
my QRP signal, and took the time to get things right.
I realize that the RX station does most of the work
in a QRP QSO, having been on the other end thousands
of times now.  There are some great ears out there,
and some very patient operators.  Nothing went into
my log unless I was 100% sure of the info.

C U next year, and thanks for all the fun.

73

-Kirk  K4RO