[3830] SS CW WP3R(KE3Q) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 4 09:04:14 EST 2003

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: WP3R
Operator(s): KE3Q
Station: WA3FET/KP4

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WA3FET/KP4

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Never heard J.  Bummer.  Heard pre-effects of the flare (odd sound on signals
and only signals heard being ones near the Atlantic coast) as early as 1709Z
with the near-total blackout starting at 1720 and going for 20 minutes or so.
Worked one local KP4 during the blackout.  Had no off times left.  I'll try not
to make that mistake again.  Probably lost 20-30 QSOs due to that.

Had major work on the station Thursday and Friday and some rig problems too --
TS-930 planned as the second radio:  Display quit Saturday afternoon.  Swapped
in an MP that we weren't using because the TX relay didn't work on the A/B
antenna jacks.  Had to use the rx. antenna jack.  Didn't have outboard switching
to enable that with the tx antenna, so used beverage.  Worked pretty well, even
on higher bands.  10M yagi developed high SWR during checkout despite good SWR
previously.  Found bad PL-259 near the tower base.  Etc.

Survived all that with help of WA3FET, NP4A, KP4TF, WP3R and two Penn State grad
students on site.

73 - Rich, KE3Q