[3830] CQWW SSB K7ZSD M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 9 14:12:56 EST 2003

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K7ZSD
Operator(s): KI7Y, K7GK, K7AR, W7ZB, K7JI, KR7X, K7PN, K7ZSD
Station: K7ZSD

Class: M/S HP
QTH: NW Oregon

  160:    2     1        1
   80:   19     9       10
   40:  269    26       67
   20:  389    27       87
   15: 1016    28       93
   10:  354    27       71

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

We started minutes late with last minute computer networking problems between
the run and mult stations. Had to run separate logs on the two, until Saturday
afternoon when we switched out the run computer with one running the same
operating system as the mult station. We heard after the contest that Windows 98
and XP use different case settings for the password, thus Writelog would not
link! We lost a couple of hours on that issue, lessons learned. Beyond that, the
station and antennas worked great, except for the FT-1000D’s main tuning encoder
shaft freezing up, Hank, KR7X was spinning the knob with gusto!

We had a impressive group of operators, Jim KI7Y, Denis K7GK, Al K7AR, Mark
W7ZB, Dave K7JI, Hank KR7X, Paul K7PN, and myself, K7ZSD, cooking during the day
and operating 40 at night. We made this a social event, and many spent the night
or entire weekend here, and had a great time! Perfect weather, great food, and a
lot of bull!

This event was made possible by a great deal of antenna work the previous
months, and a special thanks to Jim W7EJ, Kevin K7ZS, Mark W7ZB, Paul K7PN, and
Bob, coming over the weeks prior, and helping with the tower work.

There’s no need to mention band conditions, it didn’t matter, we had fun!!!
Thanks to all the stations giving us Q’s, we’ll see you next year.

Antennas:

160m – inverted L – strung Saturday during the contest
80m – Bobtail curtain
Tower 1:
3 prop-pitch motors controlled with M2 RC2800PP’s
40m – 3el full size 48’ boom – homebrew – 140’
20m – 5 over 5 on 48’ booms – homebrew – 153’ and 90’
15m – 5 over 5 on 36’ booms – homebrew – 100’ and 55’
10m – 5 0ver 5 on 24’ booms – homebrew – 110’ and 65’
Tower 2:
Orion RC2800P-A rotor
KT-34-XA – 100’
KLM 40m-2 – 115’