[3830] SS SSB WA8REI Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 18 11:09:12 EST 2003

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: WA8REI
Operator(s): WA8REI
Station: WA8REI

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Freeland, MI

Rig: Yaesu FT-817 5 watts  Ants: Hustler 4BTV ground mounted on an MFJ
stainless steel 2'x2' base plate for all Q's 15m, 20m, 40m; End fed random wire
140' long sloping 30' to 4' for 80m.  A vetty interestink
contest! Worked 7 Calif.secs. and 22 Calif. Q's. but wkd only one "1" (K1NT),
one "2" (W2SC) and NOT ONE "3" call district call sign.  Iidn't even work my own
state!!  All Q's search and pounce.  My guess is that the ionosphere
blocked signals to/from the northeast and reflected it southwest.  Wkd both
US Virgin Is. and Puerto Rico!  I was very pleasantly surprised that even the
stns with big scores would take the time to get my report with lots of repeats
necessary.  There are a lot of A-1 Ops. out there!  Ham shack was the dinette
of my Winnebago Rialta motor home in my driveway, with both antennas in my front
yard.  Wx: rain, mist, drizzle and 40's-50's F.

I worked only one QRP station, N7VY, a solid S-8 signal strength.  Are you SURE
you're QRP? HI HI. Don't touch that antenna!

I had more fun than a human BEAN should be allowed to have on the EIC
(Excellence In Contesting)network. Happier than a flyin' pig in slop! My first
SS Fone participation since the early 1980's (before the days of QRP).
  72 and 73,  Ken WA8REI  ARRL, QRP-ARCI, FISTS, NoGaQRP, MIQRP, ARS, ARLHS