[3830] SS CW WC1M Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Nov 26 12:17:32 EST 2003

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: WC1M
Operator(s): WC1M
Station: WC1M

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NH

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Antennas:

160M  -  trapped vee @65'
 80M  -  delta loop @75', trapped vee @65'
 40M  -  40-2CD @75', 4-square
 20M  -  4-el @72', C3E @50'
 15M  -  5-el @50', C3E @50'
 10M  -  C3E @50'

 580' NE beverage

 All yagis on separate tubular towers (no vertical stacks)

Equipment:

Orion + Alpha 87A, FT-1000D + Acom 2000A, Writelog, TopTen band decoders
and switches.

Scheduling conflicts prevented a full effort for the second year in a row. This
time it was childcare duties on Sunday. Too bad, because SS is one of my
favorite contests. Still, 1K+ contacts provided a good warmup for the upcoming
CQ WW CW slugfest. Can't wait.

After six straight years winning NH HP, I lost my crown to K1RX. Nice job, Mark,
but don't forget to send in your log! Guess I have enough SS wallpaper, but hope
to get back in the saddle next year.

I see K5ZD put a New England station in the top ten this year -- a sight for
sore eyes. Maybe one of these days we'll win this thing. Nice work, Randy.

Fell short of the sweep by VY1 again this year, and gather I was not alone. With
conditions sinking every year, it looks like the sweep will get harder and
harder.

First contest for my new Orion. It performed exceedingly well -- quietest radio
I've ever used. I think this one is destined to be a classic. The bands weren't
crowded enough to really stress the Orion, but WW CW will present the ultimate
challenge.

Thanks for all the Qs and see you next year!

73, Dick WC1M