[3830] CQWW SSB P40A(KK9A) SOSB/20 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 30 11:48:31 EST 2003

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: P40A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: P40A

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: Aruba

   20: 4300    37      130

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

I spent three weeks in Aruba enjoying the beach, doing tower and house work and
CQWW SSB.   The wind was somewhat mild, the temperature was a humid 90F (32C)
degrees and it was very sunny.   This was good beach weather, but it was a
little warm on the tower.    I installed a new aluminum mast and rotor at the
top of the tower and a TIC ring rotor in the middle.  I also built and installed
new homebrew monobanders for 10, 15 and 20m.  The Rohn 55G tower was painted in
a loosing effort to minimize corrosion.

I operated 20m S.B. for CQWW SSB.  Conditions prior to the contest were poor and
with the predicted solar flare I really didn’t have high expectations for this
years contest.   I turned on the radio a few minutes before the contest start
and squeezed into a somewhat clear spot.   Five hours later I had 1400 QSO’s .
Unfortunately things quickly slowed up after that and I had to work hard for any
new QSO’s and multipliers.  On Sunday afternoon 20m went completely dead for
about two hours.  It was so dead that I actually walked outside just to see if
my antenna was still there.    Despite the disturbed conditions my score is
better than I expected.  After the contest I had a nice dinner with W2GD/P40W
and P43P/P40B, who both also did well in their categories.  GL to my 20m
competitor  N6TJ @ KP2A.

Special thanks to everyone who worked me.  QSL via WD9DZV.

Radio:  Yaesu FT1000MP Mark-V
Amp:  Alpha-Power 91B
Software: Writelog

Antennas: