[3830] CQWW SSB ES5MC SOSB/40 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 28 03:33:05 EST 2003

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: ES5MC
Operator(s): ES5MC
Station: ES5MC

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH:

   40: 1247    32      112
Total: 1247    32      112  Total Score = 275,184

Club: Tartu Contest Team

Comments:

This time we decided to make some single band entries from the ES6Q contest site
as there was no hope for any multi-effort normal score from Northern Europe. I
picked up the 40m SSB "madness"...

By the time the contest actually started I felt quite exhausted with no proper
rest before - we all (Tartu Contest Team) had a very tough Friday, as our good
colleague and team member Nikolai (or Kolya as we called him), ES5RN was sent to
the very last "trip" one can have in this physical world, after he had passed
away a day earlier. We will all miss you, Kolya! We also decided not to call off
our participation in the contest, as we were sure he would have not wished that
himself.

The first morning was very tough as the X-flares had done the trick - never have
had so low rates at the start. The States were practically "closed" to us the
first night and the usable openings to US were rather short also during the
other nights, thus, it affected the total QSO quantity. Finally, when it was all
over I found several things that I should have made differently, but - I guess
it is always the case. And, you can not beat the "Mother Nature". :(

Rig: TS-850 + PA 1kW
Ant: 2 el quad @25m, dipole

Probably will do 20m SO in the CW part.

Arvo, ES5MC