[3830] CQWW SSB M6T(G4PIQ) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 28 16:09:09 EST 2003

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: M6T
Operator(s): G4PIQ
Station: G4MRS

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: JO02PB

  160:  194    10       53
   80:  681    16       72
   40:  517    21       88
   20:  615    26       85
   15: 1781    34      109
   10:  845    25      103

2 x FT1000MP + Ten Tec Titan + Alpha 87A

160m : Inv V Dipole @ 19m
80m : Delta Loop @ 23m
40m : 402CD @ 24m
HF : TH5 @ 24m + iffy KT34A @ 18m. A3 for 2nd radio.
140m Beverage

This is as close to 6M as it gets.......... - just a little frustrating!

Great fun as usual. Propagation was really odd. At some points in the weekend I
thought that conditions were pretty good - strong JAs on 15m on Saturday and
decent runs and signals from the US on 15m and late on Saturday on 10m. However
- at other times I thought that conditions stank - completely unable to run Ws
to any extent on 40m before dawn either Saturday or Sunday early morning;
completely unable to make the Carribean and South Americans hear me on 80m on
Saturday morning; lousy propagation to the US for much of the time when 15 / 10
weren't open. Spent a lot of time listening to folks further south who seemed to
be able to run on the bands I couldn't. But - basically, we got away with it -
when I saw the X5 flare reported on Thursday I think, my heart sank - thank
goodness for Bz being the wrong way round for it to couple in.

Had a few problems during the event. Sincere thanks to Darren, G0WCW for coming
in and fixing the main HF antenna which failed around 0800 on Saturday
morning.... - I only had to break for 15 minutes or so to help him wind the
tower back up and re-arrange the low band antennas.

In short - great fun - dumb mistakes - how did I end up with so little time and
few mults on 20 AGAIN........ I'd like a site I could hear from - apologies to
folks who thought I was deaf - I saw the cluster spots after the contest, but
the site has S7 noise on some bands (10,15,160 especially) in some directions
with not much to be done about it!

See you all from 5U5Z in CW.

73,

Andy, G4PIQ