[3830] CQWW SSB VE6SV M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 28 18:17:22 EST 2003

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE6SV
Operator(s): VO1CV VE5FX VE5ND VE6AKY VE6NL VE6TN VE6MRT
Station: VE6SV

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Sherwood Park, AB

  160:    1     1        1
   80:   32    10        7
   40:  439    23       46
   20: 1216    30       99
   15: 1351    26       92
   10:  812    25       78

A very interesting weekend for the Sierra Victor team. The gloom and doom
regarding propagation was not as bad as anticipated. The good stuff provided
by 10M & 15M made-up for the weak preformance on 40M and no performance from 80M
or 160M. The 20M band was really a ugly brut here. Very little performance from
20M on Sunday.

But, hardware wise, not so good by any means. As we lost a amplifier, the
amp produced such a tremendous amount of toxic smoke as it burned down
that we spent a couple of hours with couple of large fans to try to restore
breathable air and reduce the "eye watering" effects from the burn down!

A full investigation is pending. But it sure slowed us down Friday night.
Its Tuesday evening after the contest as I write this report and it still
stinks!!!

To all, a big thanks to everyone we worked and look forward to the cw event,
hopefully the smoke and smell well be cleared, the amplifier repaired,
the operating team in fighting shape.

73, Sierra Victor Team