[3830] CQWW SSB WO1N SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 28 21:40:34 EST 2003

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: WO1N
Operator(s): WO1N
Station: WO1N

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: EMA

  160:    0     0        0
   80:   22     8       13
   40:   64    14       41
   20:  157    20       72
   15:  270    21       86
   10:  227    21       77

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station Description: FT1000D
Antenna(s):  C3-SS at 38ft, Alpha-Delta DX-LB, 80M Vertical Dipole

Club Competition /Minimum 3 logs: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Remarks:

This was my first serious single op effort from the home station since the 2002
ARRLDXSSB. Most of my efforts have been from K0TV or K1TTT for the big ones
lately. But this year I decided it was time to return home. A long prep cycle
included sending the radio back to Yaesu for repairs and purchasing the C3-SS
(World's Smallest Tribander) to replace an extremely old TA33. I also decided to
try an 80M vertical dipole (ends bent over like an inverted-L) instead of the
trusty 1/4 wave vertical I usually set up. The C3-SS was up in the air for about
2 weeks but I really didn't get a chance to try it out. The radio showed up
Tuesday before the contest and the 80M vertical dipole set up was completed
about 3 hours before the contest start.

It was nice to be home, but I really struggled in this one. I don't expect much
out of a tri-bander at 38 feet and some wires at 50 to 60 feet; my pre-contest
goal was 750Q's given the recent band conditions with an expectation to
re-assess if 1K Q's was do-able about half way through. I didn't feel loud and
could not get any runs going on the high bands. Every local continues to beat me
out in the pile-ups. Of course everyone struggled with the low bands which are
usually good for a combined 27Z/65C for me vs the 22Z/55C for this year.
Probably all but 50Q's are S&P. My best hour was a 50 and that was S&P. I pulled
the plug Sunday morning about 0600Z after experiencing 6,4 and 3Q hours. The
extra sleep time did me good and I was able to plug away all day Sunday without
stopping.

So quite frankly a somewhat embarrassing effort. I mean how many times can you
tie up a DX station with NO NO NO NOT Whiskey Alpha its Whiskey Oscar, Whiskey
Ocean, Whiskey Ontario!!! before you piss off the rest of the contesting
community?

Not wringing out the antennas before hand and just not having tweaked/operated
the station as a single op hurt. Not knowing how to use the Writelog packet
window and bandmap effectively hurt. I ran most of the contest with the packet
window turned off thinking it was redundant when infact you only see a small
portion of the band in the bandmap, so I was probably missing easy mults. SOABLP
requires a bit more strategy than just getting on a big gun station and running
all day, something that I've lost. I'll do better next time....

73,
Ken
WO1N