[3830] NA Sprint CW N0AX LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 7 10:05:05 EDT 2003

                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: N0AX
Operator(s): N0AX
Station: N0AX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WA

   80:   40    0:45
   40:  102    1:15
   20:  131    2:00
---------------------

Team: Corner Pocket Contesters

Comments:

Conditions were a very pleasant surprise.  When W1's and 2's started showing up
on 20 in the last half-hour before the contest with strong, clear signals, it
was a very good sign.  Some areas of the country had QRN problems, but there was
little here, except for a t-storm that went by to the north - our first rain in
weeks, naturally.  40 was a zoo - the good kind - and 80 was in near-February
form.  I'm sure the lower solar flux reduced the absorption that has put a wet
blanket on 80 for the fall Sprint in the past few years.

Now, if I just wasn't so RUSTY! (sorry W6OAT, nothing personal)  I guess I
should get on and operate instead of just writing about it, huh? :-)  Other than
IARU, I have about 5 QSOs in the log this summer.  A little more antenna
horsepower on 40 would have helped, but the operator needs a few more dB in the
tank first.

Aside from a log full of VE3's with good ears and a welcome new entry from
VE1RGB, there was little activity north of the 49th parallel.  I missed VE5SF,
but haven't heard of any VE2, VE6, or VE7 mults being worked out here.  Where
were AZ and MD this time?  Nice to hear VY1JA, but decided chasing him would be
counterproductive and was rewarded by working N8NA for the DE mult.  XF1K was a
welcome 3-bander.  I was perpetually out-of-sync with K1EA for VT and missed ME,
but KI1G was everywhere with RI in trade.  I can't remember when I swept the W1
multipliers last.  Thanks to N4GN for putting KY on the air, too.  WB0O, can't
you arrange to work from the border and hand out double-mults from ND and VE4?
Ah well, you can't work 'em all - at least *I* can't - but that's half the fun,
eh?

Congrats to Mr. 9th Page - W4AN at K4AAA - and numerous others in the
stratosphere above 350 QSOs.  The big scores between the Mississippi and the
Appalachians - N9RV, K9NW, W4PA, and others - are a sign that this contest is
changing its character with the propagation and increasing popularity. Lots of
big LP scores, too - K7SS dented the 300 barrier, nice job Danny.  Who needs
sunspots?  Bring on February!

73, "Ed"Ward N0AX