[3830] NA Sprint CW N3BB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 7 17:28:05 EDT 2003

                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: TX

---------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: Austin Powers

Comments:

The conditions were good, and 20 meters stayed open the entire time.  The early
activity on 40 meters is interesting and I tried to follow W4AN's advice and
work both 20 and 40 meters the first two hours.  I called CQ more and worked the
2R harder than before, but it's still hard.  I did not seem to get in "the
Sprint couplet rhythm zone" too often, but kept at it.  I concentrated on 80
meters pretty much alone the final hour, which was a strong hour of 84 contacts,
but I'm pretty sure I missed several late mults by not being on 20 meters the
last 55 minutes or so.  As usual, I seemed to lose focus the third hour, with 69
contacts.  For me, the third hour is my difficult hour, and always has been.

I have no idea how 48 mults will stack up, but I worked every mult I heard,
finally getting N8NA (DE) at 0331 on 80 meters  after hearing Karl several
times.  I missed hearing ME, MD, AR, AZ, NE, ND, and SD, plus all the Canadian
provinces except for VE3,4,5, and 7. Thanks to the following for being the only
station in their multipler location for me:  KI1G (RI), K1EA (VT), N8NA (DE),
K4IQJ (AL), N4GN (KY), W4OC (SC), KL7WV (AK), W7UQ (ID), K7BG (MT), KO7X (WY),
K0IO (IA), W0UY (KS), VE5SF (SK), VE7CA (BC), NP4Z (PR), and XF1K (XE).  There
were quite a few mults with only one QSO, and I'm pretty sure I'll find out
later that I missed some.  It's a fine line working mults at times, and you must
put a signal in the areas as much as possible plus get lucky a little.

I missed two local stations (K5TR and N5XU) on 80 where the signals would have
been loud. It's amazing how you can be in this wild Sprint mix for fours hours
and sometimes miss an active and prominent station altogether.

QSO AND RATE BREAKDOWNS

station: N3BB
contest: NCJ North American Sprint

 UTC    80   40   20  rate total
-------------------------------
00Z     0   34   55    89    89
01Z     0   28   50    78   167
02Z     0   41   28    69   236
03Z     80   3    1    84   320
tot     80  106  134  ----   320

NA shows I made 30 Alt radio QSOs.  It's hard for me in the Sprint, and there
were several times I fell into Lid-ness with typing or other errors.  I tried to
call CQ as much as possible this time and did a little less looking for
"couplets," but the overall outcome seems to be about the same.