[3830] NA Sprint CW N6WG QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 7 21:28:13 EDT 2003

                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: CA

   80:   9       .5
   40:  21        1
   20:  37     2.25
---------------------
Total:  67     Mults = 26  Total Score = 1,742

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC #3

Comments:

Now I know how roadkill feels.  Seems funny asking people to QRS to 30wpm :-)
My first try at Sprint, and it's definitely back to the drawing board.  Need to
get the new KRC2 band decoder connected to some switching relays and the
matching networks.  Had to change bands manually, a rather slow process here.
Only did two band changes, 20 to 40, then 40 to 80.

Even though I spent a week practicing with the TR Log simulator, it really isn't
very close to the real thing.  Took refuge in CQing until I screwed up my
courage to try S&P.  I was in shock for a while, and took some time to get the
feel of what was happening.  Then it took longer to get my fingers on the right
F keys under pressure than to copy the callers.  Thanks to the several stations
that hung in there while I tried to find the right key combination to give their
fills.  It felt more natural to reach for the paddles for fills.  Gotta spend
more time practicing the F keys.

In spite of the beefy signals out there, I had no trouble working east coast
stations with a 55 ft wire doublet, even on 40m, which surprised me.  My 80m
wire vertical was only good for CA and NV contacts, though, so no new mults
there.

With no idea what would be possible, I set a goal of 50 QSOs and 1000 pts to
start.   I blew past that, so I'll go for 100 QSOs and 2000 pts in Feb.  It'll
be fun to see if I can do it.  I know this is pocket change for everyone else
out there, but I primarily contest against myself for my own entertainment.

I see why so many like the contest.  When the 4 hours were up, I felt let down,
thinking, That's all there is?  Let's do it again.

See you all in Feb 2004.
73, Bob N6WG