[3830] CQ/RJ WW RTTY F6IRF SOSB/80 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 29 04:02:23 EDT 2003

                    CQ/RJ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: F6IRF
Operator(s): F6IRF
Station: F6IRF

Class: SOSB/80 LP
QTH: S.E. France
Operating Time (hrs): abt 17

   80:  275  567       8      51    13
Total:  275  567       8      51    13  Total Score = 40,824

Station: IC706 (@5w output) + 4CX250 homebrew PA - 150W
Antennae: inv-V dipole @20m - 1/2wl H cap. hats loaded vertical (EI7BA style)

Software: mixW2.08 - MMTTY as second decoder
Part time effort - had to go to bed from saturday 20z to sunday 1:30z due to a
strong/long thunderstorm (really unusual for the season here). Then lost the
motivation and switched to the F1 Grand-Prix on sunday, then to bed 2 hours
before the end.
Big improvement compaired to last year: did not have to worry about rig
temperature, and could do endless CQ sequences with almost 6dB more power...
(love the 706 VFO in 1Hz resolution, but 30~40W is the most you can get on TTY
for long CQ sequences, even with additional cooling fan).
mixW did a fine job: the mixW bandmap associated with the CAT and the advanced
waterfall is the most usefull thing you can think about for S&P, and despite a
better sound card on the second machine, mixW decoder performance almost as good
as MMTTY...
Thought I would suffer from the lack of a receiving antenna (next in projects
list) and the high level of QRN, but in fact several US stations heard could
never copy me (not even a QRZ?), so my reception may not be the worst in the
world, even taking into account the 10dB power factor between LP and HP
categories...
A pity that after an endless summer with very few T-storm, this one came just
when I had invested some efforts on the 80m band...
CU soon on the bands - Patrick