[3830] NAQP CW N6HC Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Aug 9 23:45:24 EDT 2004

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N6HC
Operator(s): N6HC
Station: N6HC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: North Dakota

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   15:   16     7
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  275    85  Total Score = 23,375

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Team: SCCC #4

Comments:

Confessions of a prairie contester:
Greetings to my fellow masochists from North Dakota where I am working until the
end of August.  I brought my "portable" station knowing that there wouldn't be
many (or any) stations from the north country.  I set up my trusty FT-100,
SGC-237, switching power supply, laptop computer and ran about 100 feet of 23
gauge insulated wire out the window and attached it to a scrub tree in the
"common area" of the apartment complex.  Then I ran about 100 feet of 23 gauge
wire around the apartment as a counterpoise.  The rig loaded OK on 40 & 20 and
fairly well on 15.  No luck with a satisfactory match on 80 or 10 meters.
Forget 160m!  I quickly found out I couldn't use the LPT port keyer and the
internal radio keyer together (I'll bring an outboard MFJ keyer on the next
trip).  I also found out there was a significant amount of RF floating around my
shack.  I am healing from the RF bites received on Saturday.  Lots of ferrite
beads will be packed on the next trip.  I had great fun confirming ND as the
QTH; I am sure all the computer files kept indicating CA as my state and I got
an inordinant number of requests for repeats on QTH.  I hope all of the
"deserving" that had the forbearance to pull my puny signal out of the QRM felt
rewarded with a multiplier.  Sorry to those who asked for QSY to bands I could
not operate or to those I could not hear due to a poor antenna and high noise
level.  Ever try "rotating" a 100 foot long wire about 10-15 feet off the
ground?  I'll try to find a better station to operate from during the Phone
NAQP; otherwise, turn up the RF gain and point your beams to Fargo, ND.
Best regards,
Arnie N6HC