[3830] NAQP CW VA7ST Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Aug 10 21:31:28 EDT 2004

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:

  160:    0     0
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  175    72  Total Score = 12,600

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Gear:
* FT920 and N1MM 4.0.84 (super software!)
* Full-size 80/40/20 dipoles, tilted from 50' @ W. end to 80' @ E. end
* 88' doublet up 64' at center, ends drooping to 40' to the N. and SW.
* Half-G5RV up 45', ends to the NNE. and SSW.

I didn't get a chance during the week to sign on with a team this time around --
turned out for the best though, as I ended up losing most of Saturday to work
and could only put in a very part-time effort of 3.5 hours, starting at 2300z.

With the lost time, I knew this was a purely-for-fun exercise so I played hard
but tried to enjoy things rather than fret about low rates and wringing out
every last mult from the bands.

Ignoring the "keep your butt in the chair" credo, this time I pulled the
headphones off a couple of times for longish breaks to spend time with the
family, and even called it quits an hour before the end. Figure that should earn
me some kind of XYL free pass for WAEDX CW next weekend. I might even weed the
garden later tonight (read: I am hoping to play in SARTG RTTY the following
weekend, too).

15m was fading away fast by the time I got on the air, so went straight to 20m.
Should have snuffled around on 15 for a bit to work the couple of stations up
there first, but I was itching for some action.

Went to 40m at 0300z but couldn't get anything going there so tried 80m and
picked up a few close-in mults there.

Returned to 40m at 0345z to find conditions better -- I know that from this QTH
in BC's southern interior 40m is usually pretty miserable (can hear 'em but
can't work 'em) till right before dusk, then it's a money band. Best hour was
from 0400 to 0500z with 74 Qs on 40/80.

Heard N6RO on 160 but couldn't get through the noise to work him.

Sure had a lot of fun moving for folks -- worked out most times. Figured out
after a few failed QSYs that bouncing from 40 to 80m wasn't much use, so I
stopped doing that and stayed on my 40m run frequency for a while. Hate to say
no, but sometimes as a SOSR with not-quite-instant QSY, it's better to stay put
when things are rolling along.

Now, must get out to the garden to "do some weeding." When she's not looking,
I'll be moving the wire beam toward Europe for WAE.

73, Bud VA7ST