[3830] NAQP SSB W5LEX(KC5YKX) Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 22 10:52:43 EDT 2004

                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: W5LEX
Operator(s): KC5YKX
Station: W5LEX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Gulf Coast of Texas

  160:    0     0
   80:   13     7
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  416    98  Total Score = 40,768

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

I operated from the South Texas Amateur Radio Club station on board the USS
Lexington that is docked here as a museum ship. We have made some improvements
to the station since we took over a few months ago including a new FT-920 and a
new Hustler 5BTV. I wanted to see how the station would play in a domestic
contest and it did very well on 2 of the 3 bands I got on.

10 - DEAD. 15 - DEAD. 20 - HOT. 20 was hopping when I got on almost 1 hour late
but I did manage to find a quite little freq and run for a few hours until I was
called home for dinner. The rate those first few hours was great and I felt like
I was being heard EVERYWHERE really well. I knocked off at 5:15CDT and went to
eat with almost 250 in the log on 20. Not bad for 3 hours. Conclusion- 20 works
great.

40 - hot? 40 meters was the band of choice when I came back at 7:30CDT or so. I
s&ped for a bit to make sure I was being heard and from the reports I got back I
was so I found a nice little freq and tried to run. The QRM was high due to a
few strong Texas stations below and above me doing the ragchew thing. I s&ped a
bit more and found another freq that was better and set off again. We had some
T-storms to the NW that where causing QRN that reached 40 over sometimes. The
wind kicked up to about 35MPH and the antenna I was on developed a short so I
had to switch antennas mid run. 40 played well and I got many reports of being
real load. I could also tell I was being heard very well by the amount of weak
callers that I could not pull out of the QRN. Conclusion- 40 works very well.

80 - flop. 80 was not so good, in fact it was terrible but what do you want from
a 5BTV on 80? That and the hign QRN. Constant 20 over static and crashes that
reached almost 60 over at times. I was going to try and get my last mults to
reach 100 here but that was not going to happen. The fix for this is going to be
an 80 meter inverted L. Maybe that will help and maybe it wont. The main problem
is no way to have an RX antenna on the ship because even the inverted L will be
noisy.

So I guess in conclusion is the station is coming along and it will be a nice
place to operate casual and in a contest. If you would like a QSL from the USS
Lexington please QSL via W5LDB. As time goes on this station will under go a few
more changes and will have 160 added and will be aable to do M/2. Just have to
figure out a way to make the low bands play better on RX...any ideas?

Station:
Yaesu Ft-920
2 Hustler 5BTVs at 150' above the ship and Corpus Christi Bay.
Writelog

Reid
KC5YKX
W5LEX