[3830] SARTG VA7ST SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 22 18:11:46 EDT 2004

                    SARTG WW RTTY Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:

   80:   10    95    10
   40:   48   485    20
   20:  116  1250    39
   15:    2    30     2
   10:
-------------------------
Total:  176  1860    71  Total Score = 132,060

* FT920 and N1MM 4.0.102 + MMTTY
* 2 ele. sloping wire yagi
* Dipoles @ 65' running E-W

Low power, low gain, and polar flutter make a challenging combo into EU from
here. Managed only 29 15-pointers, and just 17 were EU over the pole. Heard a
lot more than I was able to work.

Despite rough conditions at times, my score is up from last year's 86,900
points, with QSOs up from 110 and mults up from 57.

Used a spider beam at less than 30' last year, but the VE7CA wire 2 ele. hanging
from 65' in a pine tree, pointed at EU or the States depending on time of day,
worked out pretty well. The Mosley and tower get picked up in two weeks, but
concrete work will take a month or more so there'll be a big rush to get
anything up in time for the fall contests.

Only worked one JA station, and that was on 40m. Same for ZL1AMI. Was relieved
to finally work a pair of VKs (VK4UC and VK2IMM) on an otherwise dead 20m band
late in the first period.

15m was shut down here through most of the operating time. Worked KH6GMP on 15m
Saturday afternoon and figured that would be all I'd hear. Then, in the final
hour Sunday morning (just before 9 a.m.) I jumped up to see if there were ANY
mults on 15m -- heard one signal, LT0H. Took some back and forth to complete the
QSO, but made it through in the end.

Thought 80m was better than in recent contests -- actually heard a handful of
stations this time. Still nothing to write home about though. May roll out a
beverage through the woods and see if that helps next time. Didn't hear nearly
as much on 40m as I had hoped, either.

I had fun, as usual, and worked a lot of calls I haven't seen before. It's
always great to see each familiar call but it's also encouraging to see more
casual ops popping in for a few. Thanks to all who jumped in during the busy
weekend.

See you all in the next one.

73, Bud VA7ST