[3830] ARRL 160 K0TV M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 5 22:18:30 EST 2004

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K0TV
Operator(s): N1IW, WO1N, W6ZF, K0TV
Station: K0TV

Class: M/S HP
QTH: New Hampshire
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 950  Sections = 78  Countries = 25  Total Score = 206,515

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Our best score ever in this contest. Thanks to all who called in.

Just before the contest, I doubled up the radials on the shunt fed towers and
had to retune the phased array. One of the beverages had a problem listening in
one direction and that was fixed. Then the new computer to run the Orion had
problems keying the rig on the printer port and we had another fire drill. The
station was up and running less than an hour before the start of the contest.

I thought conditions were better than I've heard in years. Most of the Europeans
that called in were strong with really good signals. I can see there is still
some room for improvement in the station and we'll try to get those upgrades
ready for the Stew Perry if I can get on without family commitments.

Several US stations seem to feel that if there's no place to call CQ that it's
OK to open up in the DX window. That hurts everybody. We can't hear the DX with
loud local signals in the window. When someone told me my clicks were covering a
DX station, I moved even though I wasn't in the window. Several of those who
were calling were the same people you hear there year after year.

We all had fun even though we were all short on sleep. Saturday morning all of
us went over to K1TWF's for an antenna party that lasted for me until 2:30 in
the afternoon. After having gotten up at 3 AM with only a few hours sleep from
the night before was pretty brutal. I probably fell asleep a couple of times
while on the spotting rig.

Thanks again to the PDRG's (Prima Donna Rate Guys) from a LMG (Lowly Multiplier
Guy)*. We all had fun.

73 to all, Jerry K0TV