[3830] ARRL 160 N7IR Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Dec 7 13:31:58 EST 2004

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N7IR
Operator(s): N7IR
Station: N7IR

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Arizona

Total:  QSOs = 435  Sections = 72  Countries = 4  Total Score = 67,260

Club: Central AZ DX Assn

Comments:

My best score by about 15K points.  Both nights were excellent with Friday
having the better conditions.  Signals from the East coast were amazingly strong
at times: AA1K was S9+10dB for quite a while on Friday night.  Very surprised to
have UA0FLZ answer my CQ on Saturday morning at sunrise just outside the JA
sub-band.  Went hunting after that, found JH7XGN peaking at S8 and worked him
for another DX multiplier.  VP2MW and a local XE2 were the other DX
multipliers.

I usually sleep at least a couple of hours the second night but this year I
decided to nap during the day and stay awake as long as propagation held up both
nights.  When I heard Jay, VY1JA, calling another station on Sunday morning I
thought: "Whoa boy, too little sleep, audio hallucination time!"  Turns out it
was Jay and unfortunately he disappeared for good after working some lucky VE6.

Worked JA0QNJ for my 5th and last DX contact at Sunday sunrise.  Could have made
more JA contacts if I could hear them but the JA sub-band fills up with CQ
machines pretty fast out here in the west during our grayline time.  In a couple
of cases I could hear JA stations underneath these guys either answering them or
calling CQ themselves but getting no break from the F1 action.  If you can't
hear the moderately strong JA stations get out of the window and let someone who
can hear work them!!!!

Looking forward to participating in the Stew Perry fest in a couple of weeks.

Equipment Description:
Elecraft K2, CT 10.01
TX Antenna: Shunt-fed, top-loaded 22m tower
RX Antenna: K9AY loop array

73
Gary, N7IR
DM43