[3830] CQWW CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Dec 8 02:45:45 EST 2004

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: WX0B
Operator(s): AD5Q
Station: WX0B

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Dallas Tx

  160:   18     7       10
   80:  121    17       47
   40:  631    32       84
   20:  401    31       92
   15:  633    32       96
   10:  159    21       59

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

I still don’t have an explanation for the conditions experienced in this contest
that I can explain in terms of propagation. Asia was great and Europe was poor –
or – I simply had difficulty running EU’s on all bands.

My experience in the ARRL test taught me the strength of the station at WX0B:
low bands. The 40 Meter EU runs through the sunrise peak across Europe were
astounding, but in this contest they just didn’t happen. The low bands were good
early in the contest, but through the morning peak on the first night there were
static crashes. They were even bad on 40, but the EU’s were not calling between
them. Then JA opened and I ran them non-stop until QSYing to 15. I had begun the
contest on 15 – also running JA’s.

On Saturday, the EU’s were good on 15 for about the first 2 hours, and this
turned out to be my only serious run of the contest. Sunday morning was very
slow, but good for chasing mults on the 2nd radio. There were no EU runs on 10,
with very little zone 15 getting through to W5.  But JA’s were good and runnable
in the afternoon, and there was a 10M opening to Scandinavia (and zone 17) late
Sunday afternoon. I began the 2nd evening with a solid JA run on 20.

I didn’t feel loud on 80 this time, and found out why late in the 2nd night. On
the transmit antenna, the JA’s were MUCH louder with the array switched south
(clue). Other W5’s were running JA’s on 80, and I heard them fine on the new
beverage – but most were CQing in my face until I switched to the south antenna.

Strategically, I feel I spent too much of the contest trying to find rate into
Europe. K5YA’s very respectable score report indicates he worked 41% Asia
(wow!).

The hospitality at Jay’s was excellent, and the opportunities to do the DX
contests from here are very appreciated.

Roy – AD5Q