[3830] RAC Winter VE3RCN SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 19 08:19:44 EST 2004

                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: VE3RCN
Operator(s): VE3RCN
Station: VE3RCN

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Kingston On
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   18     10       4         2
   80:   24    118       3         9
   40:   25     38       7         8
   20:   30     58       7         8
   15:   21     22       4         4
   10:    1      1       1         1
    6:    1      1       1         1
    2:           2                 1
Total:  120    270      27        34  Total Score = 198,860

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

A very fun contest. Worked on making sure all was in order throughout the week.
Had reports of RF feedback, so I added ferrite beads, removed excess wires and
lengths of wires and did several comm checks...all looked good. After a full day
of work on Friday, I only lasted untill 2230 local time. I was back up and at it
at 0630...but alas, the RF was back. I shut down and started changing
microphones, jumper coaxes, checking grounding...but no luck. I finally tracked
down the problem to a home made patch cord(for SSTV, PSK etc) from the computer
to the radio. With this removed, my only problem was the s7 power line noise
(and after 2 years, Ontario Hydro and the local power distributor still point
fingers at each other of whose problem it is).
  Thanks to Bob, VE3GLO for running up and down all modes/bands for the sweep of
Ontario. Bob even offered to shut down his operation to come and help me track
down the RF problem...but I told him to keep going.

  I had a good run on 80m during the last hour of the contest. Even the Japanese
were coming in on 80m SSB.

  I used N3FJPs logging programme...it worked flawlessly. It is a one screen
menu and not hard on the eyes. I find the N1MM programme too busy, and it does
not support my old TS680s.

  This is a slower paced fun contest. It was nice to talk to people who knew
Skip, the previous holder of the call sign from Thunder Bay with the Royal
Canadian Sea Cadets.

  This closes out my part time contesting effort of 2004. Lets see what 2005 has
to bring. I am still concentrating on 6m operations from FN14. 264 grids worked
and 131 confirmed. I still cant get my own grid of FN14 confirmed!!!

Oh well...Seasons Greetings, and a safe and happy holiday to all.

73, Kevin