[3830] ARRLDX CW KC5YKX SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 23 09:21:01 EST 2004

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: KC5YKX
Operator(s): KC5YKX
Station: KC5YKX

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Gulf Coast of Texas

  160:    6     6
   80:    2     2
Total:  124    99  Total Score = 36,828

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Not that I would have made this maddening event a full time effort anyways but I
did want to spend more time in the thing. Anyways, this was my FIRST CW contest
ever and it was painful. 30wpm is not nice on a newbie! I am still hearing dits
and dahs. All contacts made in this contest where for DXCC purposes as I had no
CW contacts prior to the event. I have done alot of listening but no operating.
I felt like I LID alot of times trying to get the hang of things and the flow. I
know I made a few operators scratch their heads but we made it through. I did
not have the F keys programed very well and that was alot of the problem but as
the contest progressed I fixed em and streamlined em and by the end I was on a
roll...a SLLLOOOOOWWWWW roll but a roll non the less. 40 meters was very
suprising with my 40/trapped dipole and 150 watts. Worked some very cool stuff
on that band. I dont know what happened on 80 but I guess I just missed that
one. 160 was a big suprise as I was using the 40/80 dipole. All I worked was
CARI but I was working stuff. The rest of the bands played like they should
have. All in all I have a found respect for CW contesters, I just wish they did
for us phone guys. :-) Thanks to all I worked for the Qs and sorry I was such a
newbie LID. See everyone in the 160 phone from home and the DX SSB from N5TW as
SOAB 15 meters again.

Reid
KC5YKX