[3830] CQ160 CW VE7FO Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Feb 24 00:30:09 EST 2004

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: VE7FO
Operator(s): VE7FO
Station: VE7FO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: BC

Total:  QSOs = 33  State/Prov = 10  Countries = 0  Total Score = 1,560

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

Two contests this weekend, BARTG RTTY and CQww 160 CW.  As part of my never
ending quest for better scores I decided that it was time to learn how to get
spots into WriteLog (which I use for RTTY) and get something up for 160 which
will be better than my 80m dipole.  It seems that I need a contest in the
immediate future to get me off my butt and actually do something.

With not enough time to do either, I elected to do both with predictable
results.  Still no spots in WL and still no 160m inverted L.  I was disappointed
to not have the L up as I wanted to use this contest to get an idea of how it
worked, i.e. how many mults I might be able to get on 160 in other contests.

I have found in the past that I can work a few W7 states and maybe W6 on my 80m
dipole on 160 so that's what I used here.  I was surprised at what I could hear,
W4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0 and a faint W2.  I was also surprised that lots of solid S7
stations couldn't hear me.  It was only later that I realized that lots of folks
are listening on Beverages and other directional receiving antennas while
transmitting on verticals.

I was surprised and pleased to have worked 10 mults.  Heck, with the inverted L
I should be able to get that way up to 12 or maybe even 15!  Hope you'll be one
of them in the 160 SSB in March.  (I'm sure I'll have it up by then.)

Late Flash #1 - I now have spots in WL.  It was really very easy.
Late Flash #2 - The inverted L is up - see ARRL DX CW story.  I expect to be on
for the CQ 160 SSB.

73 de Jim Smith	VE7FO