[3830] ARRLDX CW VP9/W6PH SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Feb 24 06:27:26 EST 2004

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VP9/W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: VP9/W6PH

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Bermuda

   20: 1151    59
Total: 3845   313  Total Score = 3,610,455

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment:  IC-746 (100w), W1MD laptop/CT957
Antennas:  CL33 @20 feet(20-10), Dipole @30 feet(40), G5RV @30 feet (160/80)

It's either immoral or illegal to have so much fun!  I don't know where to
start.  As Bruce, ZF2NT, said, 10 meters was like a searchlight. QSO production
was very low there, so I spent most of my daylight time on 15 and 20.  The goal
is to be on the band that Europe wasn't.  Lots of hours in the 130+ range but
could have been higher if I didn't have those 2 minute gaps of no callers.  My
first 6 bander was with with my friend, Dick, K6LRN.  I had about 25 six banders
(don't have the calls handy).  The low bands were absolutely fantastic.  I had a
135 hour on 160 on Friday night.  Last year was very noisy on 160 and only
worked a handful of west coast stations.  This year, there were many stations in
the log from the west coast, even as the sun was rising in Bermuda.  I missed
K4NNN in the log this year, very sad.  My hat is off to my host, Ed, VP9GE, who
provided me with such a nice setup.  He is a first class guy.  I did not have a
single station call me with /QRP on his call.  I never understood why they did
that anyway.  W6QU (W8QZA), W6JTI, N4KG, KG5U, and others do very well with QRP.
 I can't think of a single incident of bad operating.  Everyone was good.  I
have found that I have to stay high in the bands whenever Europe is coming
through.  Those guys are very loud in Bermuda as well as the W's.  I started
spazzing out on Saturday night (weird hallucinations from sleep deprivation) and
got 5 hours sleep, (1 am to 6 am)felt good on Sunday, so it was worth it.  Last
year, I had 3450 QSOs, so quite an improvement going from a vertical to a
beam/dipoles.  My goal next year will be 4000 QSOs.  At age 62, it's getting a
little harder to stay in the chair for the entire weekend but it's about as much
fun as you can have with your clothes on.  (Isn't that a quote from Animal
House?)  It's the ultimate video game.
                 Kurt, W6PH (bi-coastal)