[3830] NAQP CW N4VI Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 11 15:24:49 EST 2004

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N4VI
Operator(s): N4VI
Station: N4VI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 7h 40m

  160:    2     2
   10:    7     6
-------------------
Total:  537   145  Total Score = 77,865

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Team: GMCC Rocky Mtn #1

Comments:

Rig:  TS870
Log:  TR 6.58

Antennas:

160m:	See 40m
80m:	See 40m
40m:	40m dipole fed with 450ohm twin lead @ 35'
20m:	See 40m
15m:	Reversible 2 element inverted Vee beam w/apex @ 25'
10m:	see 40m

Wasn't planning a serious effort due to condition of the station and plans to
see the #14th ranked CU women play #11 ranked Kansas State in basketball
(K-State won).  The game was scheduled to end at 20:30z and then we had to drop
off the youngest for a birthday party.  So the first contact was at 21:40z on
10m.  Made 7 Q's on 10m then it was down to 15m, 90Q's later 15m was shutting
down and I headed to 20m.  20m lasted for 110Q's and then it was down to 40m at
0000z where I really had no choice (or so I thought) but to push F1 until I got
bored.  Including a 40 minute dinner break I stayed on 40m until 0512z when I
decided it was worth the effort to see how a 40m dipole worked on 80m!  It was a
very pleasant surprise and I was rewarded with 46Q's, but more importantly 26
mults.  At 05:52Z  I decided to try 160m.  I figured I could probably pick up a
CO mult from W0UA since he's basically line of sight.  It took BOTH the TS870
and MFJ tuner in series to load up on 160m and the reward for this effort was  2
mults and 2Q's on 160!

Considering the state of the station and my mind I was fairly pleased with the
score.

I also plead "no contest" and accept the n2nc lid of the contest award.  I was
postive I'd copied n2ic so I had to have him repeat each piece of the exchange +
call separately which he graciously did!  Sorry about that OM!

See ya in phone NAQP next weekend.

73

chris, n4vi

QSO Dist: