[3830] NAQP SSB N5DO Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 18 07:43:15 EST 2004

                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: N5DO
Operator(s): N5DO
Station: N5DO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX

Total: 1122   226  Total Score = 253,572

Club:

Team: West Texas Rowdies

Comments:

This was a great contest for me -- by far my highest QSO count, although Ihave
had more mults.  I enjoyed it tremendously, but I still see room for
improvement.  I wasn't able to use SO2R because I had a noticeable hum in the
mic circuit on both rigs -- probably some sort of ground loop.  I had a great
start to the contest with three hours over 150 QSOs.  The high bands, including
10M, worked great, but I had difficulty on 80 and 160.  Like many of us, I live
on a standard city lot surrounded by neighbors, so I don't have room to do all I
would like to do in the way of antennas. My tower is only about 53 feet high,
with 6 feet of mast above that.  It seems like I am constantly playing with
antennas, trying to get the perfect combination.  My 3 element SteppIR antenna
works great, and I feel satisfied with it (although I could always use more
height, and a second one to stack!).  My 402CD on 40M works well, even at its
relatively low height.  I have found the answer to my receiving problems on 80
and 160M with a K9AY loop.  It works great, doesn't take up a lot of room, and
is easy to put up in the winter and take down in the spring.  But I still
haven't found the answer for a transmitting antenna on 80 and 160.  Of course,
if I ever operate in a contest where, when I finish, I feel that I could not
have possibly done better, I think I'll quit!  CU in the Sprints.