[3830] NAQP CW AD5Q Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 18 22:52:06 EST 2004

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: AD5Q
Operator(s): AD5Q
Station: AD5Q

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: stx

Total:  982   245  Total Score = 240,590

Club:

Team:

Comments:

I got my 2nd radio out of the shop just in time to do this contest - but not in
time to get on a team. I think the score turned out OK.

I got off to a better start this year than last. I noticed a high SWR on my low
tribander, which I use a lot for SO2R. Since I have a monobander on 10 (fixed
NE), I used the high antenna on 15. It was hard sustaining the rate, so I went
to 20 early and did fine there with the low TB and high SWR through the rig’s
built-in tuner. There was one loud local I couldn’t work, who gave me a "229"
sig report instead. 20 did fold early, but 40 kicked butt by then. I stayed
there until the rate dipped, and operated the first 8 hours of the contest
before taking a break. Normally this is a bad idea, but I don’t think it hurt.

160 played well and 80 worked off and on (where my radiation angle is often too
low for stateside). I expected to get my numbers up on the low bands in the last
hour, but found excellent rate on 40 and mostly ran there instead. NAQP is my
favorite stateside contest - by far.