[3830] CQ160 CW W3DQ Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 25 12:29:01 EST 2004

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W3DQ
Operator(s): W3DQ
Station: W3DQ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: DC
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 320  State/Prov = 47  Countries = 7  Total Score = 39,204

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I readily admit I'm a terrible CW operator.  But living in DC and facing
the challenge of squeezing 160 antennas into a small city lot makes the
challenges of this contest too great to pass up!

Thanks to my 160 motivator/mentor N3OC, who once again came over and put
up the 160 vertical, I finally finished the EWEs I partially assembled a
couple of months ago.  They variously worked -- the southern one was
useless, and the western one picked up some nasty AC line noise, but
overall there was a difference between that one and the one running NE.
I did hear some Europeans, but not many (thanks MD4K for hanging in!)
Missed VT, WA, WY, ND, ID, MT. Sure were lots of folks from TN, PA, MI and OH!
Even worked a DC station :-)

I enjoy this contest and am anxious to learn more about this mysterious
band! It's motivated me to add 160 antennas to the summer "station
upgrade"  list.

Apologies to all for busting and bungling callsigns!

73, Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC

Rig:  TT Omni 6+
Amp:  Hercules II
TX Antenna:  Temporary (deck mounted) vertical w/loading coil and 2 radials;
RX Antennas: (3) EWE's W/S/NE