[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K7BV/1 Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 26 10:24:11 EST 2004

                    ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Call: K7BV/1
Operator(s): K7BV
Station: K7BV/1

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CT

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  280    64  Total Score = 17,920

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Single Band 6 Meters Only

Wow - rough contest I think my biggest challenge was the weather that brought
dry cold subzero dry temperatures accompanied by high winds that added up to
equal plenty of manmade power line, etc., noise. Propagation was about normal
with only one short Es opening.

Tropo mults were down this year, again due to noise that undoubtedly kept the
fringe grids out of the log. CW was a major asset this running of the contest,
though, for completing some very weak contacts that were new mults.

In anticipation of stinko conditions, I made a strong effort to schedule as many
WSJT meteor scatter contacts as possible. I ended up with WSJT skeds in 32
different grids. The icy weather shutdown operations of three of the stations
with skeds. Very low burning rock counts and exceptionally high noise put the
kiss of death on others. However, I was delighted to complete contacts into 19
grids that were not worked via any other means.

The math says that WSJT meteor scatter contacts supplied 30% of my mults. I also
kept track of WSJT QSO duration time since that has been a topic of concern for
some. I must say I was surprise how few minutes it took on the average to
complete the exchange of calls, grids, and RRRs. Taking time to learn how to use
WSJT and to rub shoulders with the non-contester regular users of this neat mode
of operation certainly paid off big time.

The garage holds the antennas and 230 pounds of aluminum tubing for a 6 meter 4
X 7 element H frame.  I cannot wait to (1) see if it will stay up long enough to
use in next year's January contest (2) and, if so, what impact it will have in
this contest that relies so much on grinding the most one can wring out of tropo
propagation.