[3830] CQ160 CW K8MFO Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 26 15:24:31 EST 2004

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K8MFO
Operator(s): K8MFO
Station: K8MFO

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Ohio

Total:  QSOs = 642  State/Prov = 54  Countries = 20  Total Score = 110,778

Club: East Lansing DX Club

Comments:

Just wanted to check out my Elecraft K2 on a crowded band.  It passed the test
with flying colors.   You don't feel like you are only running 5 watts when
using the K2.  It is a fine radio.  No working RX antennas at the moment, and
just an inverted vee.  Put in 18 hours, much more than expected, because the WX
was so cold in Ohio.

I was amazed to work 7 Europeans, along with D4B and EA8BH.  KH7X was raised on
one call at a time when he was not particularly strong.  North Dakota was the
only continental state missed.  Heard one running S&P, but he never pounced on
me!   I was also surprised that I could hold a run frequency for long periods of
time with 5 watts.

Good fun.  I entered the very first CQ 160 Contest many years ago, and it still
brings me back.