[3830] IARU N5LT(@W5KFT) SO SSB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jul 13 01:01:21 EDT 2004

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N5LT
Operator(s): N5LT
Station: W5KFT

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: Texas

  160:   0        9     4
   80:   0       56    18
   40:   0      147    28
   20:   0     1229    79
   15:   0      332    39
   10:   0       72    11
---------------------------
Total:   0     1845   179  Total Score = 1,017,973

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

It's good to be back.  After 7 years of not only no contesting, but no radio I'm
back in the game.  I seem to do this alot.  Unfortunately I also seem to get
back on at the bottom of the sunspot cycle too!  I got on for field day at my
house in June and made about 100 cw q's, but that has been the extent of
my radio since March of 1997.

I was looking for a good contest to practice in and this fit the agenda
nicely.  Decent rate, the need to hunt for mults and having to stay alert
since you only get a shot a things one time generally.  Plus the 24 hour
format left time for me to get home, sleep, and still get to church as well as
play with the kids.

As George, K5TR mentioned, I have always enjoyed this contest too.  In fact I
still have to stop myself from calling it Radiosport.  Back in the day I bought
a used IC502 so I could get some 6m mults in the log!

I was originally going to op from Dennis's place (K5YA), but we put that
off due to a lightning strike at his house.  However, given Dennis' score
of 1700 cw q's from an 'almost full time' effort sounds like things are
glued together pretty well over there!  As I searched for a station at the last
minute Bryan, W5KFT, allowed me to go to the 'radio ranch' and operate from his
well equipped station.

The bands were in nice shape for the most part (what do I know...I always
come back at the bottom of the cycle!) and I had a nice EU run on 20m on
Sat.  Just sat on 14.154 and let them come to me.

The beverages weren't working at the ranch, but since the low bands aren't
that critical in this contest it wasn't that big of a deal.  Just a pain
for the guys I was working who had to send there call 10 times.  Lots of
noise.  The JARL HQ station peaked at 20 over S9 on Sunday am on 80m.

The only real problem showed itself after the contest when I noticed the
10/15 ant's were plugged into the 6 meter rotor and vice versa.  I was
really puzzled why I couldn't find certain paths on 15 when I knew they
should have been workable.  I also turned the heck out of what I thought
was the 10m antenna trying to peak some stations coming in via e's.  It
was amazing how the top antenna heard the west coast the same as the
antenna's fixed north east!  (Unfortunately the 10/15 top ants were stuck
to the NE).  Oh well.

Some 2 radio q's, but I ran into a problem sat night so I just went back to
so1r.

Thanks again to Bryan, W5KFT for allowing me to operate and a big thanks to
Robert K5PI.  I had never met Robert before.  However, he met me at the
ranch Friday evening and hooked everything up, tested stuff out and showed
me the new functions of the software.  No way I could have even worked 1 Q
without his assistance.  Thanks again Robert.

It was really great to hear alot of my old friends and a bunch of calls that I
don't recognize yet.

Hopefully I'll be back in the mix for awhile now!

Congrats to all on the great scores.

Russ--
N5LT
(yep, aka N5KA, AA5RB, N5DDO and KA5HRU)