[3830] IOTA MM0Q(@MM0BQI) Multi-Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Jul 28 17:41:29 EDT 2004

                    IOTA Contest

Call: MM0Q
Operator(s): GM0NTL, MM0BQI
Station: MM0BQI

Class: Multi-Op LP
QTH: EU92, SUMMER ISLES

   80:    5       5       97       22
   40:   21      15       69       29
   20:   50      13      302       38
   15:    5       5       23       16
   10:    0       0        2        2
Total:   81      38      483      107  Total Score = 670,770

Club: SUMMER ISLES RADIO CLUB

Comments:

Conditions started bad then went rapidly downhill!  Almost nothing on 10/15m and
40 was so bad. Very high noise levels and low signals meant a good five hours in
bed during the night.  There was nothing to work so sleep was the best option.
Seems that the further north you come the harder the auoral conditions hit you.
High QRN levels and sudden deep QSB were our worst enemies.
Despite the conditions, there were a huge stack of plus points.  The MPs
performed flawlessly, networked WriteLog was a joy to use (perfect for the 24
hours)and after some initial repairs the HF6Vs worked great. Set-up and
dismantling were performed in perfect weather which changed on the Saturday when
Ullapool and the Summer Isles were officialy the wettest place in Britain!
This is my first attempt at multi-op for IOTA and judging by this performance it
will not be the last. Changes next time would be at least one other operator, a
scanning receiver on 10m and a fresh visit to the rules to examine how other
stations interpret them.  I am sure by adopting different tactics our QSO count
could have been higher but we took the rules at face value and possibly did
ourselves no favours.
My thanks to Bill and Jean who own Tanera Mor and who jointly sponsor the Summer
Isles IOTA Trophy. To Ron, for lending his experience and support and to
everyone we worked. It was great fun and MM0Q will be back on EU92 next year!
Jim  MM0BQI