[3830] ARRL FD KT0R 2E HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Jun 30 23:11:23 EDT 2004

  903:    0       0     0
  1.2:            0     0
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  674    2057     0  Total Score = 3,605

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

Well congrats to all the Field Day Operations out there. The W0AA crew, you guys
did a great job. A lot of cw. That is what makes the score build. A 50 hr on cw
is a 100 rate on ssb. Looks like a 1st class operation.

For FD this year, I had the boys and K0OB had to work till Saturday evening.K0MX
had to work a double shift so could not make FD. So we decided to get on from my
qth.

After lunch I took the boys to the Robbinsdale FD site. They had a great setup.
They have a comm. Van that has a telescoping 45 foot tower that come s out the
middle, like the T.V. crews have. They had a tri-bander and wires up, and even a
440 MHz repeater. Alex and Ben thought it was neat.
Then the boys went over to a friend’s house around 3:00 and I had the shack, and
the house empty. The bands seemed in great shape, despite the loss of 10 and 15
meters. We didn’t really care about score we just wanted rate, and good practice
running the pile up. And Boy was it fun!!  In a score standpoint should have ran
more cw. But rate was soo much fun on ssb.  1st hour got on and had a rate of
150 and it just went on and on. When Greg made it over around 8:00-8:30 I had
over 700 Q’s in the log.  Then rates took off. With 2 stations going on 20 and
40 Wow ! Well, about that time my wife came home with the kids and Kirk N0KK
stopped by and operated a bit, while I helped put kid to bed. After that Kirk
had to go get his kids to bed and Greg and I operated till about midnight- 1:00
a.m. At about 11:00 Greg was falling asleep and I told him he could run 40. That
picked him up a bit and stayed up till about 1:00 then said I really have to go
to sleep. Greg was beat and went home and then I operated till about 4:00 am. 80
sure was good. Nice and quiet and guys were calling in from Eastcoast,
Westcoast, and everywhere else. Rates were not the best but, still in the 70-80
range.

Greg and I got back on about 7:00 in the morning and it was a sprint to the
finish.

One high lite of the contest was my son Alex (age 7) was in the shack and I
asked him if he wanted to work a few guys? His eyes lit up and said “Sure!” So I
said ok. I had a nice freq on 20 ssb so I said do you want to call CQ and he
did. And of course big pile up. So I would type in the calls in the log field
and point at it and he would read off the calls, then I made flash cards for
mycall, exchange, and QRZ KT0R. I would hold up cards to tell him what to say.
He made about 25 q’s in no time. Running was great fun. I hope he enjoys in
later in life as much as I do.
Not a big score but GREAT FUN !

We were on for about 18 hours or so.
Thanks for all the Q’s