[3830] NAQP RTTY W6YX M/2 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Mar 4 12:32:41 EST 2004

                    North American QSO Party, RTTY

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): K6UFO N6DE N7MH W6LD W6GEM
Station: W6YX

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: CA

Total:  868   240  Total Score = 208,320

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

This looks to be a new M/2 record.  Thanks for all the QSOs and special thanks
to everyone we asked to QSY to other bands!  We were also pleasantly surprised
to see some JA participation.

10m was wide open at the beginning of the contest, and stayed open to many areas
for several hours.  The problem after the first hour was attracting attention to
our 10m CQs!  Despite 10m being open for hours, most everyone was on 20m and
15m.  We tried to move a lot of northeast stations to 10m (W1, VE2, VE1, VY2),
but most of these moves were unsuccessful.

We are quite happy with our numbers on the low bands from CA.

We still have room for improvement, as we missed 5-10 mults that we could have
gotten. either because the station disappeared by the time we got to that part
of the band map, or we forgot to ask that station to QSY to another band, or
forgot to show up on a band when a station said he would be there.

We also blew the 15m section on one of our ICE 419 bandpass filters, driving it
with 100W from a 1000MP.  This is the third time that the 15m section has failed
on various ICE 419 filters in our shack, with no other band having ever failed!
It was interesting to hear that W7WW had the same problem with his ICE filter in
the 15m position during NAQP RTTY.  When I've repaired our filters, the problem
has always been that one of the 330pF capacitors read about 100-180pF instead.
It's not the same cap every time, and the cap never shows any burn marks or
obvious failure.

Writelog automatically scored NP3D in KP4 as a mult, so you'll want to edit the
prefix field for those QSOs to get an accurate count of your multipliers.  Of
course, it won't matter for the Cabrillo file.

Activity in this contest has increased since the last time I participated.  Hats
off to the NN6NN, W5KFT, and WI0WA M/2 efforts for their great scores.

73...
-Dean - N6DE