[3830] ARRLDX SSB NS3T SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 7 15:50:04 EST 2004

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: NS3T
Operator(s): NS3T
Station: NS3T

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: MD

  160:    1     1
Total:  500   223  Total Score = 334,500

Spent the weekend playing radio, while at the same time keeping a
close eye on the VERY pregnant XYL (due date 3/8!)  She took ill on
Friday, so I basically operated 20-30 minutes at a time and checked
on her in between.  No baby arrived, so I kept at it in the shack!

10 was a big disappointment at my QTH.   Thankfully the LU & PY ops
made it worthwhile.  15 was the money band, while 20 did the job.
40 was awful as usual, and I surprised myself with 27 mults on 80
thanks to my new inverted vee in my backyard tree.

There were two real contest highlights for me - one was working KL1V on
80 meters (after not being able to raise him on 40) and then
working VQ5A on 160.  Not only was that my only 160 QSO, but it
is the only SSB contact I have ever made on 160.  Go figure.
I almost also got FY5KE, but he abruptly faded out.

Also, I only made four contacts with my own voice - did the
rest with voice files and Writelog.  Sure helps keep the noise
down at the home QTH and is definitely an easy way to S&P.
Long term project is to figure out how to do it while CQ'ing.
I quit 2+ hours early once I got to 500 Q's.

Thanks to all the DX out there for joining the fun.

Jamie NS3T
IC-706
barefoot
HF6V vertical
80m inverted vee up 55 feet
40m inverted vee up 50 feet

Par Electronics End Fedz dipoles for 20,15,10