[3830] ARRLDX SSB ZF2NT SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 7 16:20:54 EST 2004

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: ZF2NT
Operator(s): ZF2NT
Station: ZF2NT

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: LYB
Operating Time (hrs): 5?

  160:    1     1
   80:    6     6
   40:    8     6
   10:   31     9
-------------------
Total:  528   108  Total Score = 170,748

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

The "good ears" award on 160m definitely goes to W3LPL.  Not only is that
station loud, but they can hear.  I called lots of other big east coast multi's,
but none of them gave any indication they heard me.  Likewise, top gun on 80 in
my book has to be W6YX.  It was a struggle for them, but they did pull me
through on 80.

40m was a disaster.  I searched and searched, but every single US station I
could find was listening below 7050...and most were down in the range of 7020.
It is a matter of LAW, not some gentleman's band plan, that my lower limit here
is 7050.  And it's the same way with a lot of other countries in R2.  (I think
most of them can also go up to 7300, but we all know guys in the US would never
think of listening above 7100!)  Even if it weren't law, no way would I ever go
below 7040 on sideband.

160m was similarly destroyed by this contest.  People were down as low as 1820.
I spent a lot of time on 80CW Friday night, and in response to a move request
from 4X4DK for 160m had to go all the way down to 1805.  But the good news is
that we made it in spite of the SSB QRM.

Actually, I did this contest the way I should have done the CW contest.  I spent
all day Saturday and Sunday diving Bloody Bay wall, communing with the fishes,
and only got on the radio while I was getting my tanks refilled.  That was lots
more fun than banging my head against the wall playing radio!  But QRP was a fun
game...for a few hours.  It was interesting to see who could hear, and who was
simply loud.