[3830] WPX SSB VA7IRL SO(R)AB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 28 21:20:06 EST 2004

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: VA7IRL
Operator(s): VA7IRL
Station: VA7IRL

Class: SO(R)AB LP
QTH: Richmond, BC

Well, that was a blast! Probably the first proper AB contest I have entered -
where hours in the chair was a more limiting factor than station equipment.
Homebrew 40-meter and 80-meter dipoles (14AWG and 1.5" ABS pipe) went up last
weekend and worked FB. I even made a contact (my first EVER!) on 160, loading up
the 80-meter wire with my tuner :-D

QRM/N on 80 and especially 40 was horrendous at night - lots of static crashes,
broadcast racket and oh-so-wide signals, especially on 80 (S9+ over 10KHz?
Puleeze). Made the successful contacts all the more gratifying, though!

Lots of DX and stateside on 40 both working split and listening on their own
frequency, which is great for us Canucks with our 7050 - 7100 window.

CU in WPX CW!