[3830] WPX SSB ES5TV SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 29 10:32:19 EST 2004

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: ES5TV
Operator(s): ES5TV
Station: ES5TV

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Jogeva

   20: 1035

Club: Tartu Contest Team

Comments:

Very poor conditions and aurora. I guess that they were so bad that already
became my advantage as 4 high tribander stack really started to play.

I set out to break old 1980 ES record of 4,5 mio. Well, I am a bit ashamed as
only the abundance of prefixes nowadays helped to achieve that goal while QSO
number was much smaller:)

I am very suprised to see RK4FF score almost the same as mine with 500 more
QSOs. I took a 5 hour break first morning and when returning at 10 UTC found him
having 1100 QSOs vs my 400! Well that was something that did not fit into my
head. Where were those QSOs from I kept thinking the whole contest:) Well,
hopefully a lot of UA 1 pointers:)

As DL3TD has also almost the same score it will be interesting to see what
happens after log checking although I have never understood how (penalties, bad
call criteria, number checking) this is done in WPX - has anybody?? I have sent
several letters to the organizers but zero reply - well, I have accepted that it
is a national secret. Comparing this style to recent Russian Contest, well, it
is not hard to guess which contest will die.

Second radio was super effective again giving me 500 QSOs and 250 multipliers in
those slow hours. That is 1,5 mio extra points!!

Did not hear OK1RI this year, was there any big scorer else from EU or is it
really possible to be among the top from EU from Aurora zone, not using packet
and running legal power?? I am amazed:)

QSO distribution-wise it was interesting that no JA on 20 and no US on 15:)
Still JA runs on 115 were one of the best I have seen lately.

                   160    80    40    20    15    10    ALL
                   ---    --    --    --    --    --    ---
  USA calls   =      0     8    47   334     7     0    396
  VE calls    =      0     2    12    40     0     0     54
  N.A. calls  =      0     0     3    11     3     0     17
  S.A. calls  =      0     4    27     8    28    21     88
  Euro calls  =     77   419   311   552   144    33   1536
  Afrc calls  =      0     4     3     5    21    12     45
  Asia calls  =      5    11    38    67   110     9    240
  JA calls    =      0     0    22     9   292     0    323
  Ocen calls  =      0     0    15     9    56     2     82

  Total calls =     82   448   479  1035   661    77   2782

GL and cu in cw

73
Tonno
ES5TV