[3830] WPX SSB NT1E(K3BU) SOSB40 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 30 15:53:14 EST 2004

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: NT1E
Operator(s): K3BU
Station: NT1E

Class: SOSB40 LP
QTH:

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Another test of Orion by contest fire.

What drives me nuts is the "performance" of the power meter on the Orion. First
the calibration is a joke, second, "wise" guys programed it to have "hang time"
which is insane to watch on transmit. It does not follow the power swings, it is
confusing and utterly useless. I had to hook the wattmeter to have any
meaningful indication. I usually keep the SWR meter in reverse to see if
anything happens to the antenna. Meter kept me awake by banging its needle at
its end stop.

I had Orion receiver go bunkers on me about 5 times during CQ WPX SSB contest.
Had to do power reset and lose frequency. Try to tune the VFO B on sub receiver
while you transmit on VFO A, like trying to set the sub receiver for different
RX frequency when you operate split. Orion goes to La-La land.

"Software updatable" radio is fine in theory. But what you do when it has
"features" that are annoying and there is no update coming up from TT? You can't
program it itself. Old hardwired radios you can change by soldering thing or
two. This closed system software design - you are on the mercy of manufacturers.
If we are not allowed to make changes, where is the flexibility? Where is CW
PTT? What if software is deemed "done" and no more "updates"? You can't modify
it, you are stuck!

I love the receiver strong signal handling, but I am not happy with ergonomics
and other things in it. Definitely not the nutty contester's radio for $3.6k. I
am not sure that I can value that over other stuff.

One other "feature" I discovered. If you exceed your message length in SSB
message memory, you get echo at the end. I happened to program my NT1Echo and
got "nice" Echo-o-o vibrations :-)
Oh, quite often when pressed SEND3 button with longer CQ, nothing would come up,
just like echo of nothing.

Audio switching for headphones in split mode sucks, you have to go over cycling
through the settings (main-sub-both), while you lose the weak caller on one of
the channels you would like to concentrate on. It should have separate buttons
just like VFO or ANT assignment.

Quite a few times wrong VFO "ended up" on transmit, "thanks" to confusing
display screen. The large display letters should indicate TX VFO. Ergonomics on
the screen are much to be desired. (What is the highlighted "A" that doesn't
change ever?) If you try to use the sweep, you increase your chances of losing
the receiver.

Noise floor with weak signals is another annoying thing.

Tested new "INVertical" antenna, works well.

Thanks for points and sorry if I "dissapeared" on you due to Orion "taking
break". I wish more Euros listened up here when they had no takers down there.

Yuri, K3BU