[3830] OrQP WA7HP Cnty Line HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat May 15 19:27:12 EDT 2004

                    Oregon QSO Party

Call: WA7HP
Operator(s): K7GK, WB7ECW, WJ7C
Station: WA7HP

Class: Cnty Line HP
QTH: Barlow Pass, OR

   40:   31     18
   20:   80     90
--------------------

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

This was our second ORQP from the same QTH - Barlow Pass on the county line
between the counties of Hood River and Clackamas. Last year's adventure was a
success, but there were a few things we wanted to improve. We lost a lot of time
last year on the initial setup and our first contact was at 17:36, more than 3.5
hours after the start of the contest. The strategy was to send the most
courageous of our crew out Friday and have him set up the antennas the day
before the contest. Mike, WB7ECW, volunteered to do this, I still can't believe
that he did what he did. Thanks, Mike! The antennas consisted of a 2-el Moxon
wire beam for 20M and a 2-el wire yagi for 15M on one boom with a single feed
(arrangement similar to C-3) and a dipole for 40M. We managed to put the beam at
about 35ft and the dipole was at about 45ft. IC-746, AH-811H, generator, laptop
with TR and a few other things rounded up the equipment list. The QTH has an
elevation of roughly 4000ft and had a few feet of snow on the ground, although
not as much as we've seen last year. We managed to put up the tent and finish up
the setup in less than an hour while the skies were clear and at 14:59 we were
on the air. The propagation this year has been hardly any better than a year
ago, so the rates were not as high as expected. We did get a lot more mults,
particularly from Oregon, which was a nice surprise. It seemed that people were
more aware of county line station rule and giving two counties in the exchange
didn't raise nearly as many questions this time around. By the end of the
contest the rain settled in and the station teardown was not very pleasant under
a cold rain. All in all it was a lot of fun and we'd like to thank the
organizers of the contest as well as everyone we've worked.

73, Denis K7GK for the WA7HP crew (WB7ECW, WJ7C and K7GK)