[3830] WPX CW AC6DD SOSB40 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 31 19:17:59 EDT 2004

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: AC6DD
Operator(s): AC6DD
Station: AC6DD

Class: SOSB40 HP
QTH:

Total:  858  Prefixes = 407  Total Score = 1,234,024

Club: Slovenia Contest Club

Comments:

My plans for this year's WPX weekend kept changing due to personal and work
reasons.  At first I was going to go back to the South Pacific (see 3D2NC last
WPX), than to Slovenia for family reasons, and than three weeks ago it turned
out that I was staying home.  After my last few adventures, contesting from home
is just not enough fun and punishment.  So I ordered a Comtek box for 40m, and
by the time it arrived, I already built four verticals out of scrap aluminum
tubing and old tribanders.  A roll of unmarked coax obtained from the phone
company turned out to be 75 ohms, perfect for the phasing lines.  Working late
into Thursday night I had all the parts ready for the portable operation the
next day.
   I set up the four square at the end of a 3/4 mile long pier above salt water.
(See www.qsl.net/ac6dd for info on the pier)  The setup took me most of the
afternoon.   The antenna was never erected before, so if I said that it all
worked right away, I would be lying big time.
   The contest started pretty slow, as propagation was basically one way.  As
darkness fell it was getting clear that I won't be working many European
stations.  All EU stations worked were pretty weak, and pretty much from the
southern part of the continent.  The opening was short, and now I started having
doubts about even getting on 40m this late in the year.   By the time Asia
opened I forgot all about it.  As the Japanese station with birdfeeder antennas
were filling my log, daylight arrived. Shortly after it was over, with 620 QSO's
for the night.
   I was hoping Europe would be better the next day, but unfortunately not much
changed.  An interesting tactic was noted from some east coast stations.  As I
would call CQ and a weak EU station would reply, the station would break in
trying to steal the QSO.  I lost a few contacts due to this phenomenom, as I
could not copy the exchange.  Folks, you are my heros.
   The second night was s l o o o o o w.  Only a bit over 200 QSO's, but I got
North Korea (or South, or Japan or wherever he was).
   So in the end how did the antenna work?   I think it was great.  At the flip
of the switch a station would turn from barely readable to booming.  I routinely
kept switching directions during CQ's and getting replies from all over the
place.  The big problem was noise.  I wish that I also had a horizontal antenna
to switch to on receive.  I would like to hear from stations that worked me, and
also from California stations that were using a yagi so I can compare notes.  I
would like to know if all this effort with salt water is worth it.  I might do
an 80m four square for CQWW at the same place.
I will post a couple of pictures on www.qsl.net/ac6dd in a few days.  I am
leaving to Europe tomorrow, so time is tight.

  USA calls   =    402
  VE calls    =     41
  N.A. calls  =     13
  S.A. calls  =     36