[3830] CQWW SSB N1DC SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 1 10:23:58 EST 2004

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N1DC
Operator(s): N1DC
Station: N1DC

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: EMASS

  160:    2     1        1
   80:   13     5        4
   40:    3     3        2
   20:   99    18       49
   15:  141    16       61
   10:  301    23       80

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Conditions were better than expected here especially on 10M. There were some
great openings into Europe and Africa. I heard many DX stations with good
ears.

Unfortunately, there were also a lot of loud and excessively broad band stations
with poor audio. Some of these stations were almost impossible to copy and took
several attempts to get the callsign correct. Why so much gain and compression
?

Some highlights for me included working A61AJ,SU9NC,5H3NK,9J2KC and 5U7JB very
quickly in big pileups. I also worked ZK1AQT in the South Cook Islands before a
pileup developed. Good timing and my Heil ProSet Plus made the difference!

A good score is possible with modest antennas and low power. I ran an old TenTec
Paragon at 80W into a 4 element Yagi at 30 ft. My hillside location makes up for
low antenna height. The beam acted up on 20M (high SWR) during Saturday's rain
showers. I think I've got plugged drain holes in the traps.

See you in the WW CW contest in November.  73  Rick