[3830] CQWW SSB W4KAZ SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 1 19:59:57 EST 2004

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W4KAZ
Operator(s): W4KAZ
Station: W4KAZ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: nc

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    5     3        1
   40:   22     7       16
   20:  127    15       52
   15:  184    19       69
   10:  173    18       56

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Wonderful conditions for a low power station using only wire antennas.  The big
guns were able to spread out.  Great fun.

My weekend was all S&P, not a single CQ called.  You guys with yagis and amps
have it way too easy....  I was able to put in enough time between other family
events to make one of my first goals as a newly minted contester.  I finally hit
the 500+ QSO mark.

Time to set some new goals.

Local observations:
I could probably have held a run frequency on 10 meters on Sunday, but S&P is
just so much fun....

Murphy neglected my hamshack on his rounds this weekend, much to my delight.
That may be one of the few benefits of a simple set up.

I must also admit to making several rookie operator mistakes during the contest,
details of which I shall deny vigorously when accused.  Forgot to round up USA
mults on 80 and 40.

The biggest disappointment for me was hearing a VK5 come up on 40 meters Sunday
morning, before my coffee had kicked in and the logging computer had finished
booting.  By the time I was good to go, the pileup was too thick for my weak
signal.

My rectangular loop on 15 meters is much better than the previous fixed dipole
at the same height--and IT TURNS.  I had not added 10 meters to it before the
weekend--that proved to be a large mistake.

Live and learn.

73,
Keith