[3830] CQWW SSB W6RCL SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 1 21:04:56 EST 2004

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6RCL
Operator(s): W6RCL
Station: W6RCL

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: LAX

   40:    6     4        3
   20:  101    25       43
   15:  155    25       59
   10:  140    23       51

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

What a great weekend ... i.e., a lot of ham radio and still time to attend my
son's Saturday soccer game, and to go out to Saturday night dinner and a movie
with friends.

My goal in the CQWW contests is to work DXCC or WAZ and I came closer this time
than I have in recent years -- by getting 32 zones and 87 DXCC countries.
Perhaps next time!

10M was good in CA, but not as "great" as everyone on the East Coast seems to
suggest.  Sunday morning I had some 10M zone 14 contacts but nothing beyond
Spain and Portugal... of course, I'm only running 100W and a tribander
antenna....other 6's mileage may have varied!

96% of my Q's were S-and-P, but I had short runs calling CQ (to Asia) a couple
of times.  I've got to remember to call CQ more -- even when there are no
takers!

My biggest surprise was punching thru the pileup to A61.  A second shocker was
working ZS5T off the back of the yagi (long path!) on 20M and when I rotated the
antenna around, he was S9+20 and there were no takers so we chatted for a couple
of minutes.

I have antennas peaked for CW on 40 and 80, but obviously I have to do something
to make them work in the high end of the bands.  I tried using an antenna tuner
to do just that, but in the process, I let some of the smoke out of it and
decided to forget the low bands.  Something else that was unusual in this
contest was that my FT-847 locked up twice and wouldn't transmit.  I had to
reset its internal computer both times to get it to work!  I have no idea
why....

Best 73 de alan